It appears that the minutes of a meeting of the Via Meeting Steering Committee Meeting on
The scenario required for this question to make sense involves taking seriously the fairly overt strategies and plans of the
Such strategizing does not entail Via Media conducting a coup. Rather the strategizing assumes the coup that has been in the works all along – the coup that wrests the claim to legitimacy from ECUSA and gives it to the Network. The
Here is what the Via Media memo had to say about plans in the "memo," which seems to have been the notes taken by someone about the meeting:
“Strategy discussion what can we do, then how, then how to reach the larger community.
1. What will be our response the “Day After” when the bishops start announcing they are in a “new” Anglican Communion and the Network is “recognized” as the only legitimate expressions of the A.C. in
• Have ready blank presentments for abandonment of the communion.
• Have already drafted request stating that the see is vacant and requesting appointment of interim bishop. Need to coordinate with PB on these appointments.
• Have request for special convention ready to give to interim bishop so that vacant spots in diocesan government can be filled (trustees, council, standing committee, commission on ministry, etc.)
• Be ready to take legal action on property identify who will serve as litigants, what property needs to be covered.
• Have plan for locations and personnel to provide worshipping communities and “safe havens” for the faithful remnants. Identify retired priests and deacons, lay leadership.
2. Build a broader awareness and support for VMUSA and the coming crisis.
• Tap into provincial presidents.
• Build sister parish connections and lay leadership.
• Find a group of bishops to work with, including PB candidates
• Cultivate Executive Council, Officers of General Convention
• Cultivate local press
• Develop criteria for recognizing schism"
As a strategy outline it is interesting, perhaps a bit dramatic, but certainly not the planning of a coup. On the basis of this strategy outline, the
“According to documents and articles in circulation, Via Media USA is planning attacks against the Anglican Communion Network (
Via Media’s exposed plot to supplant
It is useful to note that the
The Via Media has nothing to do with ousting anyone. It has everything to do with a bishop claiming to be bishop of a diocese of the Episcopal Church that he is taking with him into a new setting.
The Via Media has nothing to do with ousting anyone. It has everything to do with a bishop claiming to be bishop of a diocese of the Episcopal Church that he is taking with him into a new setting.The
“Since its inception, Via Media has served as a pawn of 815 [the Episcopal Church’s national office], Integrity USA, Every Voice Network, and other radical revisionists intent upon transforming the Episcopal Church into a religion devoid of Christian faith, doctrine and practice. While espousing a mantra of tolerance and diversity, the organization has now been exposed as a body committed to dismantling dioceses that uphold Scriptural faith and historic Anglican doctrine. Via Media clearly has no desire to walk together with the Anglican Communion; nor does it respect the mind of the Communion on matters of sexuality. Rather, it has plotted and schemed with unparalleled duplicity to seize control of dioceses, thereby usurping legitimate episcopal and diocesan authority.”
The article then turns from this strange accusation to an entirely new string of observations, ones that betray a level of paranoia that is remarkable.
“Let us not forget that a group of ECUSA bishops has established a special task force to develop strategies for ensuring that no churches leaving the Episcopal Church as a matter of conscience retain their property. Formation of this task force has been made public; now Via Media’s intentions have been revealed. What other secret plans are being plotted behind closed doors that have not yet been leaked? We encourage those who have knowledge of such plans and proposals to come forward and place them in the public sector so that all can be forewarned.”
Why, we might ask, the vehement insistence on there being secret plots and plans? Perhaps it is enough to observe that the
To bad. Via Media people and others will continue to think things through.