What's the buzz
Tell me what's a-happening
Why should you want to know?
Don't you mind about the future
Don't you try to think ahead
Save tomorrow for tomorrow
Think about today instead.
(From Jesus Christ Superstar, by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.)
Here's the buzz, re the Primate's Meeting in Dar Es Salaam. It has just come to a close. They have just issued a communique. (More on that later.) There are interviews, spins, tales to tell, things to do.
In sum (some of which is covered in the communique) :
- They met, everyone sat in the same room.
- They ate, some ate separately in order to strategize.
- They prayed together and separately.
- Some of them took communion together, some stayed away.
- They argued, but mostly nicely, thank you, at least until the last.
- They did not agree on everything (of course not.)
- They did agree on some things.
- They received a report card on the Episcopal Church, which some liked and others did not like.
- They heard about all sorts of work that needs to be done re. MDG's, hunger, poverty. They agreed that something had to be done.
- They received a report about a Covenant process. Some thought it was the salvation of their position, other thought it was the salvation of the Anglican Communion. Some thought better of the whole thing and mostly sat quietly. It does not say much we don't already know. Coercion turns out not to be the answer...wanting to be in fellowship does.
- They produced a closing statement, a Communique, that is absolutely guaranteed to satisfy no one.
- Some will no doubt produce alternative closing statements.
- Some new trust was established, some old distrusts were solidified. There were meddlesome folk around and about, but life is like that.
- Everyone is going home. (Some left early, others never got there. A the end there were 33 left.)
- They worked entirely too late on the last day.
- They produced a follow up document, also posted with the Communique with recommendations that they suppose will be handled by the Episcopal Church House of Bishops by September 2007. That document, quaintly called "Key Recommendations of the Primates" doesn't look like a set of recommendations at all - it looks like an ultimatum. The best we can do with such bait is not bite.
- And the prognosticators were left where we started...None of us will be unemployed.