3/05/2010

Why the Anglican Communion is such a wonderful thing....

With all its craziness, the Anglican Communion is a wonderful thing BECAUSE we get to hang out with the likes of Desmond Tutu and claim him as family.

The New York Times just did a piece on him that is filled with all the spark and delight as well as the deep hope that is in him. The article is HERE.

What a joy!

The picture of him, BTW, is also a wonder. Go and see.

I loved the last quote. The interviewer ( Deborah Solomon) asked,

"It sounds as if you’re still sermonizing."

and he responded,

"I wish I could shut up, but I can’t, and I won’t. "

5 comments:

  1. Ah, I think my favorite quote from the interview must be this:

    "Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness. You see it wonderfully when you fly and the sky is overcast. Sometimes you forget that just beyond the clouds the sun is shining."

    A quote, a phrase, a prayer. Thank you Archbishop Tutu, for a moment of grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2.      His new book, Made for Goodness comes out next week! I've preordered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deacon Charlie Perrin6/3/10 12:52 PM

    I have never been able to understand why some people appear to give more weight to the words of Peter Akinola than to the words of Desmond Tutu.

    Throughout the controversy surrounding Gene Robinson's Episcopacy, I have always given much more weight to Archbishop Tutu's moderate stance than to Archbishop Akinola's "hair on fire" responses.

    I will take Tutu's moral authority over Akinola's any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and a bunch of us are on the same wavelength though I quoted his piece about sermons (Whoopie! -- I can hear him say that). Maybe it is because I am still working on tomorrow's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some time back, Matt Kennedy declared that Tutu was no longer an Anglican.

    Has anyone informed the poor archbishop of this fact?

    ReplyDelete

OK... Comments, gripes, etc welcomed, but with some cautions and one rule:
Cautions: Calling people fools, idiots, etc, will be reason to bounce your comment. Keeping in mind that in the struggles it is difficult enough to try to respect opponents, we should at least try.

Rule: PLEASE DO NOT SIGN OFF AS ANONYMOUS: BEGIN OR END THE MESSAGE WITH A NAME - ANY NAME. ANONYMOUS commentary will be cut.