1/08/2007

Blog Bombing and Moderation of Comments.

This is a picture of the largest non nuclear bomb regularly produced by the United States. It is called a Daisy Cutter. When it falls it destroys everything within 300 meters in any direction. The fireball and blast are so frightening that the threat of the use of it is enough to make any people rethink whatever it is that they were doing that ticked the US off. It is called a Daisy Cutter because it cuts down everything in sight.



There has been a bomber on this blog who has dropped blog bombs so large as to make it almost impossible to carry on a thread conversation about the subject of the blog entry or for that matter any thread of conversation that arises from it.

This Blog Bomber has effectively blown everything away, and those of us beyond the blast sometimes have fed further bombing by trying to engage in conversation with the poster, often simply known as “anonymous.”
So as a result I have had to invoke blog maven rights and will now review all comments before they are posted. This is called comment moderation. I will pass most immediately on to the blog so that conversations can continue. A number of us have valued the comments on PRELUDIUM and it is good to have conversations be as open as possible. However, long postings totally unrelated to the thread, or ones that essentially belong on a blog devoted to someone else’s concerns will not make it.

I hope friends of this blog will understand. And I hope the blog bomber will move on.

8 comments:

  1. Stravinsky said something to the effect that his best works emerged when he placed strictures on his compositional approach.

    My hope is that with these new boundaries in place, Preludium and our conversations here will blossom!

    God's peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, and amen.

    I am a believer in the standard parent/teacher adage: "If you cannot play nicely, then you may not play at all."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish to acknowlege and bewail my manifold sins and wickedness for feeding the troll who spoiled this fine blog. I should know better, but I have a short fuse.

    I apologize for my part in making the new rules necessary.

    --counterlight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, I am so sorry, but the inconvenience for all will make this a nicer place (although for those on dialup it is still very slow as are all graphics rich environments).

    BTW -- Thinking Anglicans has posted the membership of the Design Group for the proposed Anglican Covenant -- I am not at all encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 98. I will not feed the trolls.
    99. I will not feed the trolls.
    100. I will not feed the trolls.

    All done.

    Although, I did think that I said some particularly good things to the troll. I just should remember that it doesn't help.

    That's the agravating part about trolls: sometimes they say something so off that we are inspired to write a really good response, but instead of it sparking a conversation, it only feeds their bad behavior.

    Oh, well. I won't feed the trolls anymore. Keep up the good work.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark,

    I am sad that this is needed, but I do agree it is. If in any way I contributed to the problem, I appologize.

    FWIW
    jimB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark,

    I absolutely agree with your decision to delete obnoxious comments. Helping to create safe space is part of hospitality and inclusion.

    At the same time, I wonder whether there is a better word than "moderate." The last thing the Anglican Communion needs is any more self-appointed "moderators." :)

    ReplyDelete

OK... Comments, gripes, etc welcomed, but with some cautions and one rule:
Cautions: Calling people fools, idiots, etc, will be reason to bounce your comment. Keeping in mind that in the struggles it is difficult enough to try to respect opponents, we should at least try.

Rule: PLEASE DO NOT SIGN OFF AS ANONYMOUS: BEGIN OR END THE MESSAGE WITH A NAME - ANY NAME. ANONYMOUS commentary will be cut.